Monday, January 23, 2012

I survived!

No, I'm not the least bit melodramatic. ;)

I survived a day of wheat-free. Here is what I ate today:

Breakfast:
*bowl of grapes
*small bowl of Hemp Plus cereal (no wheat!) with almond milk

Lunch:
*rice and peas with raw baby carrots and hummus
*I was still feeling very hungry and was so tempted to go for a piece of toast or bread with peanut butter and jam, but I made a couple of eggs instead

Afternoon snack:
*craving for breads was HUGE. I even wished for rice cakes. Who wishes for rice cakes? ;)  Well, I really wanted rice cakes with peanut butter. I do like my peanut butter. :D I ended up making popcorn. That satisfied the grains craving! I also had a few raisins.

Supper:
*not feeling that hungry by the time supper came around. Made some chili; family had it with pasta and garlic bread, I just had a small bowl of chili

Evening snack:
*a banana

Let me tally it up the fruits and veggies according to Canadian serving definitions:
*fruit: grapes and banana; only 2 servings; with the raisins, 2.5
*vegetables: peas, carrots and the tomatoes in the chili: 4 servings

Not bad. If I can get back into the habit of green smoothies, I'll be sure to have enough fruits and veggies each day.

The tought part: The memory of the intensity of the cravings is sitting with me hard. It's like an addiction! Part of me wants to go for a 2nd day in a row. At the same time, I'm very aware now of how habituated I am in my grain consumption. Or addicted. :/ I have to be careful to not replace the wheat with other grains. I easily consume 8 servings of grains on an average day; even by Canadian standards, I ought to limit myself to 6. Various things I have read suggest that if you are going to include grains in your diet, that is too much.

Ideally, I'd like to end up mostly raw vegan. Wheat seems to be the most problematic of the grains in terms of health, so maybe I should just keep going with it--or rather, without it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment