Friday, February 1, 2013

-Free Recipe Friday + Go Dairy-Free!

Inspired by Dreena Burton posting in Facebook about her blog post Reasons to Stop Eating Dairy, I decided I would write very briefly about going dairy-free.

I have been dairy-free for 3.5 years. It took years of illness and finally getting violently ill for me to finally go, "Okay, I get it, I stop." What held me from really stopping was, in part, the idea that it was just too hard.

After 3.5 years of being dairy-free, I can (now) attest to it being a fairly easy lifestyle--once you're used to it. It's hard to let go of certain habits and comforts, but just because something is hard doesn't mean we shouldn't -- or can't -- do it! I do get tempted now and then with something cheesy. Mmmm, the lasagne I used to make does sound delicious. But I know what it will do to me, so I don't give in, no matter how tempting.

If you have some favourite baking recipes that require milk, in many, many cases, you can simply substitute a dairy-free milk and it will work just fine! Case in point: I made these muffins this morning. And I used rice milk instead of cow's milk. (My personal preference would have been to use almond milk; I find it works better in baking than rice milk. But rice milk is the only thing I have on hand, so there we go!) Whenever we make pancakes, we use non-dairy milk and they are absolutely fine. Even extended family couldn't tell the difference. (Which just makes me wonder--why don't they all go dairy-free? ;) At least for pancakes and baked goods?)

Frozen Blueberry Muffins


modified from this http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Frozen-Blueberry-Muffins
Originally published as Frozen Blueberry Muffins in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p.18
dairy-free (could use egg substitute to make vegan)



  • Prep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
  • Yield: 24 Servings
15 25 40

Ingredients

  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups frozen unsweetened blueberries



TOPPING (I didn't use it)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions

  • In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs, milk and vanilla; mix well. Stir in dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in frozen blueberries.
  • Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine sugar and nutmeg; sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Editor's Note: If using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutritional Facts (don't apply to dairy-free version)1 muffin equals 238 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 209 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment